If you are drawn to a career in government or the nonprofit sector, you may feel a calling to serve others. Advancement to a leadership role will amplify your talents and skills, allowing you to significantly impact those you work with and serve.
One of the most efficient ways to advance in your public or nonprofit service career is to earn a Master of Public Administration (MPA) online degree, which will strengthen your potential by building skills such as leadership, management, decision-making, and communication.
An MPA for All Stages of a Public Service Career
Barry University designed its Master of Public Administration online program to address students' needs across a range of career stages, including those planning to enter the profession as mid- and executive-level practitioners employed in administrative positions as well as those transitioning from active field roles or the military.
The degree focuses on providing knowledge and skills applicable to the administration of public, nonprofit, and other organizations serving a public purpose.
The program's 12 required courses offer study and instruction on public administration's theories, principles, and practices. The program's various three-credit-hour courses focus on topics including:
- Research methodologies
- Values and ethics in administration
- Public policy analysis and evaluation
- Public financial administration
- Public human resources administration
- Leadership in public purpose organizations
- Public law and administration
- Public planning and growth management
- Nonprofit administration
- Productivity improvement in the public sector
The program's capstone project challenges the student to put together a study "from knowledge gained during the program and to make connections between academic and professional work" that shows relevance to current public administration practice.
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be prepared to:
- Apply graduate research methods and techniques to evaluate the effectiveness of public programs and the outcomes of policy alternatives
- Synthesize the concepts associated with ethical behavior and social responsibility to effect social change and promote social justice
- Evaluate leadership qualities and analyze the rule of law in administrative procedures, as well as execute effective administrative decision-making
- Examine the process involved in planning for change and the various means of production in the public sector, leading to ways to maximize efficiency and effectiveness
Ultimately, the program's objective is to develop "students to be public administrators who will embody the public sector values of respect for all individuals, proficiency in the profession, adherence to ethical principles, and empathy toward all."
Affordability and Flexibility
This 100% online MPA program is a highly affordable degree. Regardless of your state of residence, the baseline tuition is $14,976, including all fees except for a $30 application fee. You can pay tuition course by course, which allows you to complete the program at your pace.
The MPA online program provides a flexible and convenient annual schedule with six start dates each year. After selecting the desired start date, you will need to adhere to deadlines for applying and turning in all required documentation, registering for classes, and paying tuition.
You'll also enjoy added convenience and flexibility to study and complete assignments from wherever you want while still working part or full time and gaining real-world experience.
An MPA can open the door to many career paths. With an advanced degree in public administration, you may choose to work as an administrator for a local, county or state government, a regional nonprofit, or as an analyst for an international organization such as the United Nations.
You can specialize in an area like human service or work in the nonprofit world. An MPA prepares you for jobs in the private sector as well.
MPA-prepared professionals often pursue the following positions, many of which prefer or require that applicants hold an advanced degree in public administration:
- Policy analyst
- Policy and advocacy manager
- Economic and policy analyst
- Legislative affairs coordinator
- Political affairs officer
In fact, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports a promising job outlook for the future of the public administration sector, with a projected 6% increase in employment opportunities for administrative services and facilities managers between 2019 and 2029.
Earning an online MPA can be a good choice if you are looking for an affordable, flexible, and desirable education that can offer you many career opportunities.
Learn more about Barry University's online Master of Public Administration program.
Have a question or concern about this article? Please contact us.