Dr. Richard Gary Orman
Professor of Public Administration
"Be prepared for a very vigorous learning experience."
- PhD – Syracuse University, Maxwell School
- Master of Regional Planning – Syracuse University, Maxwell School
- BA – State University of New York at Binghamton
- R.G. Orman & Co., Inc. Planning and Management Consulting, 1980-2010
- Consultant to U.S. Aid in Bulgaria and Russia, 1996-2001
- City Manager for Riviera Beach, Florida, 1972-1976
- Barry University, Professor of Public Administration, 1992-present
- Florida Atlantic University, Assistant Professor, 1976-1988
- American Planning Association, charter member
- American Institute of Certified Planners, charter member
- 56 academic papers and presentations
- 78 contract research papers
Links to share?
In which online degree program do you teach?
Which classes do you teach online?
PUB 670: Public Planning and Growth Management
What do you want students to take away from your courses?
- Recognition of public administration as a valued profession
- Become a highly analytic thinker
- Become an excellent writer
Why did you start teaching?
My teachers were the most respected persons I knew while growing up.
What advice would you give to students considering this online program?
Be prepared for a very vigorous learning experience.
What qualities make someone particularly successful in public administration?
Recognizing that, as public administrators, they serve the public. Public expenditures are with the public's money, and they must always act in ways that are above reproach.
What do you think is the biggest challenge that people in public administration face today?
Recognizing that public policy making is the responsibility of elected officials, and public administrators carry out the policy.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
“The New Testament” of the Christian Bible
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know about you.
I am a scratch golfer.