Dr. James J. Talerico
"After working in a professional non-academic career environment for several years, I decided to use my skills to assist various faculty and students to enhance their professional goals in life."
- PhD in Public Administration – Union Institute & University, 2008
- MPA – University of Pennsylvania, 1997
- Master of Accounting and Taxation – Temple University, 1994
- BSBA – Wilkes Community College
- Head of financial investigations for Pennsylvania's Gaming Control Board, 2006-2010
- Assistant director, Bureau of Government Audits, Pennsylvania Auditor General's Department, 2000-2006
- Various administrative positions with Pennsylvania Auditor's Department
- Barry University, academic coordinator since 2013
- Barry University, assistant professor since 2013
- Barry University, adjunct instructor from 2010-2013
- Chestnut Hill College, adjunct instructor
- DeSales University, adjunct instructor
- King's College, adjunct instructor
In which online degree programs do you teach?
Why did you start teaching?
My path toward teaching started later than most academics. After working in a professional non-academic career environment for several years, I decided to use my skills to assist various faculty and students to enhance their professional goals in life. I am extremely pleased with the decision that I chose.
What advice would you give to students considering an online public administration programs?
As several others in the academic field have said already, try to remain focused on your career and academic goals. When objects seem to wear you down, pick up your head, put a smile on your face, and ask the good Lord to always help.
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know about you.
As head of financial investigations for the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, I traveled around the world to investigate individual and corporate applicants for gaming (casino) licenses in Pennsylvania.