Dr. Bruce Payne
Professor of Finance
"I wanted to teach, become heavily engaged in research, and share the results of that research with students, colleagues, and others."
- PhD in Finance – Louisiana State University, 1977
- MBA – University of South Florida, 1970
- BA in Industrial Management – University of South Florida, 1968
- Serve on the editorial boards, or as a reviewer, for seven different academic journals, 1982 – present
- Member of Phi Kappa Phi and Beta Gamma Sigma, 1979 – present
- Past president and member of the Executive Board of the Southwestern Society of Economists, 2007 – 2018
- Published over 80 articles in 26 different peer-reviewed journals, 1980 – 2018
- Presented over 70 research papers at professional meetings. Awarded the McGraw-Hill Education Distinguished Paper Award in 1995, 2000, 2012, and 2017; 1978 – 2018
- Received Federation of Business Disciplines Outstanding Educator Award, 2010
In which online degree program do you teach?
Which classes do you teach online?
MBA 621: Managerial Finance
Why did you start teaching?
I wanted to teach, become heavily engaged in research, and share the results of that research with students, colleagues, and others.
What advice would you give to students considering this online program?
Do not wait until you graduate to start looking for a job. Start now.
What qualities make someone particularly successful in the profession in which you teach?
A basic tenet of my philosophy is that the student must have, or acquire in school, the ability to adapt to change.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith, 1776
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know about you.
As a member of the USAF, I participated in Operation Desert Storm in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Iraq from 1990 – 1991.