An online Master of Business Administration offers a flexible framework for professionals seeking to advance their careers within the healthcare industry. The Barry University online MBA in Health Services Administration prepares students to lead healthcare organizations as upper-level managers and executives.
Barry University’s online MBA in Health Services Administration provides many of the leadership, finance and accounting skills that are taught in all of the university’s online MBA programs. The emphasis on health services administration allows graduates to manage healthcare-related businesses upon graduation by teaching critical skills, concepts, and practices unique to the healthcare industry.
An Overview of Health Services Administration Courses
The healthcare industry is continuously evolving. To meet the demands of healthcare businesses, our programs include rigorous coursework that emphasizes the practical applications of advanced concepts while thoroughly covering important fundamentals, such as the social, legal and ethical aspects of healthcare business management.
Our highly engaged faculty members — more than 90% hold doctoral degrees — teach the courses that cover healthcare-related topics such as:
- Tools for assessing quality management activities by healthcare professionals
- Complex financial systems within the modern healthcare environment
- Health insurance and publicly funded programs
- Applications of healthcare accounting
- Applications of healthcare finance management
The 36-hour online degree program can be completed in as few as 12 months. To earn the MBA, students must complete 12 courses (36 credits), including nine core courses (27 credits) and three electives (9 credits). Core classes include topics such as managerial finance, international business, leadership and legal aspects of business, among others. Health service administration specialization courses include three advanced topics: health law and ethics, quality assurance and utilization review, and financing and delivery of healthcare services.
Potential Careers Within Health Services Administration
Every physician group, hospital and healthcare organization requires skilled administrators to oversee staff, manage day-to-day operations and plan for the future. Barry University’s online MBA in Health Services Administration prepares business professionals for many rewarding careers within the healthcare industry. Below are descriptions of a few careers along with salary information as of November 2019 from ZipRecruiter.
- Hospital CFO: Business leaders with a strong background in finance may seek the career path of chief financial officer. A CFO oversees a hospital’s budget and operating costs. These business leaders are also tasked with financial reporting to the board of directors and shareholders. The average salary for this position is $152,154 per year, with top earners making nearly $299,500.
- Healthcare administrator: Typical responsibilities include hiring and managing staff, maintaining safety compliance, and ensuring efficient care delivery. Other duties often include creating budgets and implementing new policies. The average salary for healthcare administrators is $72,281 per year, with salaries reaching $136,500 on the high end.
- Medical manager: Running a specific department within a healthcare facility or overseeing a number of departments often falls to medical managers. Common duties include budgeting, scheduling and human resource-related tasks. The average yearly salary for this position is $59,703, with top salaries exceeding $101,500.
- Health information manager: These professionals are responsible for governance of health information within a healthcare facility. They typically have oversight of the integrity and security of health data. They earn $67,963 per year on average, with top earners making $89,500.
Further Your Healthcare Career Today With an Online MBA
No matter which direction your career in healthcare takes you, the online MBA in Health Services Administration will prepare you for your journey. Barry University’s School of Business holds accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). Fewer than 5% of the world’s business schools have earned this distinction. AACSB accreditation shows potential students and employers the quality and rigor of Barry University’s online MBA programs.
If you are ready to begin or further your career as a medical manager, health information manager or other healthcare administrator, you have a flexible option through Barry University’s online program to add foundational knowledge in business management along with niche expertise in health services administration.
Learn more about Barry University’s online MBA in Health Services Administration.
Top Master’s in Healthcare Administration: What Types of Jobs Are Available With an MBA in Healthcare Management?
ZipRecruiter: Hospital CFO Salary
ZipRecruiter: Healthcare Administrator Salary
ZipRecruiter: Medical Manager Salary