An online Master of Business Administration (MBA) offers a flexible framework for professionals seeking to advance their careers within the healthcare industry. The Barry University online MBA in Health Services Administration program prepares students to lead healthcare organizations as upper-level managers and executives.
Barry University’s online MBA in Health Services Administration program provides many of the leadership, finance, and accounting skills taught in all of the university’s online MBA programs. The emphasis on health services administration readies graduates to manage healthcare-related businesses by teaching critical skills, concepts, and practices unique to the healthcare industry.
An Overview of Health Services Administration Courses
The healthcare industry is continuously evolving. To meet the demands of healthcare businesses, Barry University’s program includes rigorous coursework that emphasizes the practical applications of advanced concepts while thoroughly covering important fundamentals, such as the social, legal, and ethical aspects of healthcare business management.
Barry University’s highly engaged faculty members teach courses that explore healthcare-related topics such as:
- Critical competencies for effective leadership in healthcare administration
- Tools for assessing quality management activities by healthcare professionals
- Complex financial systems within the modern healthcare environment
- Health insurance and publicly funded programs
- Applications of healthcare accounting
- Applications of healthcare finance management
The 36-credit-hour online degree program can be completed in as few as 12 months. To earn the MBA, students must complete 12 courses (36 credits), including nine core courses (27 credits) and three electives (nine credits). Core classes include topics such as managerial finance, international business, leadership, and legal aspects of business, among others. Health services administration specialization electives include three advanced courses: Health Law and Ethics, Quality Assurance and Utilization Review, and Financing and Delivery of Health Care Services.
Potential Careers Within Health Services Administration
Every physician group, hospital, and healthcare organization requires skilled administrators to oversee staff, manage day-to-day operations, and plan for the future. Barry University’s online MBA in Health Services Administration program prepares business professionals for many rewarding careers within the healthcare industry. Below are descriptions of a few careers and June 2023 salary information from ZipRecruiter.
- Hospital chief financial officer (CFO): Business leaders with a strong background in finance may seek the career path of chief financial officer. A CFO oversees a hospital’s budget and operating costs. These business leaders are also tasked with financial reporting to the board of directors and shareholders. The average salary for this position is $142,417 per year, with top earners making more than $280,000.
- Health services administrator: Typical responsibilities include hiring and managing staff, maintaining safety compliance, and ensuring efficient care delivery. Other duties often include creating budgets and implementing new policies. The average salary for health services administrators is $101,984 per year, with salaries reaching above $236,000 on the high end.
- Medical manager: Running a specific department within a healthcare facility or overseeing a number of departments often falls to medical managers. Common duties include budgeting, scheduling, human resource-related tasks, and day-to-day operations. The average yearly salary for this position is $94,756, with top salaries exceeding $170,000.
- Health information manager: These professionals are responsible for the governance of health information within a healthcare facility. They typically have oversight of the integrity and security of health data. They earn $74,794 per year on average, with top earners making over $119,000.
Further Your Healthcare Career Today With an Online MBA
No matter which direction your career in healthcare takes you, the online MBA in Health Services Administration program will prepare you for your journey. The Andreas School of Business at Barry University holds accreditation from AACSB International (AACSB). Fewer than 6% of the world’s business schools have earned this distinction. AACSB accreditation shows potential students and employers the quality and rigor of Barry University’s online MBA programs.
If you are ready to begin or further your career as a medical manager, health information manager, or other healthcare administrator, Barry University’s online program offers flexibility. Earning this advanced degree can help you develop foundational knowledge in business management along with niche expertise in health services administration.
Learn more about Barry University’s online MBA in Health Services Administration program.